When you think of taking a trip to Nantucket, the winter season probably doesn’t immediately come to mind. However, we believe this is a wonderful time of year to visit! The pace of the town has slowed down, the scenery is gorgeous, and there’s still plenty of ways to spend your time and have a memorable trip. Keep reading to learn about the best things to do on Nantucket during winter.
When you visit Nantucket, be sure to reference our complimentary Vacation Guide. It contains local insight on the area’s best events, restaurants, accommodations, and more!
Check Out These Things To Do on Nantucket During Winter
How will you spend your time on Nantucket during the winter months? We have some excellent suggestions!
Indoor Activities Throughout Nantucket
Do you want to avoid the brisk winter breezes? We don’t blame you! Don’t worry; there are many things to do in Nantucket during the winter that take place indoors.
- Enjoy a locally-brewed beer – Head to Cisco Brewery, get cozy, and sip on a delicious brew. This local brewery is open year-round and turns their beer garden into a winter paradise, complete with tent enclosures and heaters.
- Take a cooking class – It doesn’t get much better than preparing a warm, homecooked meal on a chilly winter evening. You can learn a new recipe and all the necessary steps with cooking classes at Nantucket Culinary Center.
- Dive into Nantucket’s history – Head to the Nantucket Whaling Museum and gaze at fascinating historical artifacts and the infamous sperm whale skeleton.
- Learn about a traditional craft – Visit Nantucket Looms and witness expert craftsmanship. Since 1968, the artists have produced quality handwoven textiles, including placemats, throw blankets, scarves, and fabrics.
- Dine at delectable eateries – One of the best parts of vacation is trying the area’s best food. There’s a collection of Nantucket restaurants that are open throughout the year, including Dune and A Brotherhood of Thieves.
Outdoor Activities Throughout Nantucket
The temperatures are cold and hover between 30 and 50 degrees in the winter, but that doesn’t mean you still can enjoy some time in the great outdoors during your stay on Nantucket. Be sure to pack your coat, gloves, and scarf, and you can enjoy the picture-perfect scenery that Nantucket yields in the winter.
- Wake up and watch the sunrise – During December and January, the sun usually rises above the south shore of Nantucket around 7 A.M. You’ll most likely have the beach to yourself. There’s no better way to start your day!
- Hit the ice – Ice skating is a winter activity that’s cherished by visitors and locals alike. Nantucket Ice is a rink that offers public ice skating throughout the year.
- Stroll the beaches – After a snowfall, the beaches are magical. Bundle up and head to one of Nantucket’s beaches and take a stroll. You’ll be dazzled by the white blanket of snow that covers the sand.
Stay With Us at Periwinkle Inn
Are you craving a winter getaway to Nantucket? Stay with us at Periwinkle Inn! We’re open year-round and would love to host you. Located on the picturesque Greek House Row, Periwinkle Inn offers the ideal location for your Nantucket escape. Our inn offers the perfect blend of historic charm and modern comfort. Each room was named after a character in the classic novel by Herman Melville, Moby Dick. Our luxury Nantucket Island bed and breakfast is perfectly situated close to the waterfront and downtown, keeping you close to the area’s best activities.
Check our availability and book your magical winter getaway today!