The Best Day Trip Is Nantucket To Martha’s Vineyard
Nantucket has everything you need for the ultimate relaxing, coastal getaway. From exploring lighthouses to having a lager at the local brewery, there’s always something fun to do! Another popular activity is taking a day trip to the nearby island of Martha’s Vineyard. It’s just a quick ferry ride away! Keep reading to learn how you can have the best day trip from Nantucket to Martha’s Vineyard
For information on the best things to see and do during your trip to Nantucket, refer to our complimentary Vacation Guide. It features local insight on the area’s best restaurants, events, attractions, and more!
How To Take a Trip From Nantucket To Martha’s Vineyard
Whether you want to enjoy a picnic on the beach, visit the infamous Flying Horses Carousel, or indulge in local seafood, there’s plenty of joy to be experienced during a day trip from Nantucket to Martha’s Vineyard.
1. Hop on the Inter-Island Ferry To Martha’s Vineyard
With Hy-Line Cruises’ inter-island ferry service, hopping islands is easy! Make your way to the Steamship Authority dock on Nantucket, purchase your ticket, and board the fast ferry to Martha’s Vineyard. The journey only takes about one hour and drops you off at Oak Bluffs. Roundtrip tickets for adults are $64, children between five and twelve years old are $45, and children under four years old are free.
2. Spend the Day Exploring Martha’s Vineyard
You did it! You’ve arrived on the charming island of Martha’s Vineyard. There are many ways to make the most out of your trip and enjoy everything the island has to offer. Some of the most popular attractions and things to do on Martha’s Vineyard are:
- Edgartown Lighthouse – Located in Edgartown at the entrance to Katama Bay and Edgartown Harbor, this historic lighthouse was built in 1828 and served as the keeper’s home. The structure’s original location was a quarter of a mile from the coast on an artificial island. Eventually, this caused sand to accumulate and create a beach that connects the lighthouse to the land today.
- Katama Beach – Katama Beach, also known as South Beach, is a stunning three-mile stretch of sand and surf that swimmers and sunbathers flock to. When you visit this beach, you’ll be surrounded by sweeping dunes with green grass, snow-white sand, and crystal-clear turquoise water.
- The Terrace at the Charlotte Inn – If you’re craving a delicious meal in an elegant setting, look no further than The Terrace at the Charlotte Inn. This bistro-style restaurant offers an old-world atmosphere at a gorgeous historic inn. The restaurant owners take pride in using fresh island-grown ingredients while incorporating American, Italian, and French dining influences.
- Aquinnah Cliffs – This mile-long scenic cliff features dazzling colors of gravel, sand, and clay that date back to hundreds of millions of years ago. Due to its dangerous reputation and severe erosion, climbing the cliffs are forbidden today, but visiting the area and catching a glimpse of this natural beauty is an experience you’ll never forget.
- Felix Neck Wildlife Sanctuary – Whether you’re young or old, you need to visit Felix Neck Wildlife Sanctuary if you’re a nature lover. With over 194 acres of beaches, marshland, meadows, woods, and various walking trails, guests can explore the island’s native birds, plants, and other animals. You can even take a kayak tour on the Sengekontacket Pond.
3. Head Back To Nantucket and Stay at Periwinkle Inn
After a day roaming the one of a kind island of Martha’s Vineyard, it will be time to retreat to your cozy guest room at Periwinkle Inn. Head to the Steamship Authority dock at Oak Bluffs and take the return ferry to Nantucket.
Rest Your Head at Periwinkle Inn
Located on the picturesque Greek House Row, Periwinkle Inn provides the ideal location for your Nantucket getaway. Our inn offers the perfect blend of historic charm and modern comfort, paired with excellent guest rooms and amenities. Each morning, you can fuel up for your day with a delicious homemade breakfast. Then, step out of our front door and explore the area’s best shopping, restaurants, and more!