Winter isn’t typically what comes to mind when picturing the perfect Nantucket getaway, but we think it’s a wonderful time of year to visit. The off-season peace is slow and serene, the snow-dusted scenery is gorgeous, and the whole island is up for grabs. There’s plenty of ways to have a memorable island escape — read on for the best things to do in Nantucket this winter.
Check Out These Things To Do In Nantucket During the Winter
Indoor Activities Throughout Nantucket
Looking to avoid brisk winter breezes? There are plenty of ways to enjoy Nantucket comfortably indoors during the winter. Here are just a few.
- Enjoy a locally-brewed craft beer at Cisco Brewery, which also serves spirits and wine from sister brands Triple Eight Distillery and Nantucket Vineyards on site. The Nantucket institution turns their beer garden into a winter paradise, complete with tent enclosures and heaters.
- Head to the Nantucket Whaling Museum and dive into the island’s fascinating history. Take a trip back in time, gaze at historical artifacts and the infamous sperm whale skeleton, and, come holiday season, get lost in a forest of Christmas trees at the annual Festival of Trees.
- If you have access to a car during your stay, catch a drive-in movie at Nantucket’s Dreamland Film & Cultural Center. The nonprofit cinema screens a new movie every night and sells limited concessions.
- Visit Nantucket Looms and learn about traditional Nantucket crafts. Since 1968, the artists have produced quality handwoven textiles, including placemats, throw blankets, scarves, and fabrics. The shop makes a great place to pick up a few souvenirs before heading home.
- One of the best parts of a Nantucket vacation is eating your way through the island’s many excellent restaurants. Though some restaurants close up shop for the winter season, many remain open, including Black-Eyed Susan’s, Company of the Cauldron, and Keepers.
Outdoor Activities Throughout Nantucket
Temperatures hover between 30 and 50 degrees in the winter, but that doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy quality time in the great outdoors. Pack a good coat, gloves, and scarf, bring your camera, and take in the picture-perfect scenery that Nantucket enjoys during the winter.
- There’s no better way to start your day than by waking up early and catching the sunrise, especially on the beach. Head to one of the south shore beaches, where the sun rises around 7 a.m. (not too early) in December and January — you’ll likely have the place all to yourself!
- Ice skating is a beloved winter activity cherished by visitors and locals alike. Nantucket Ice Rink offers public ice skating throughout the year.
- After a snowfall, the beaches are magical. Bundle up and head to one of Nantucket’s beaches and dazzle in the snow blanketing the sand.
Stay With Us At Periwinkle Inn
Longing for a winter escape to Nantucket? Stay with us at Periwinkle Inn. We’re located on picturesque Greek House Row close to the waterfront and downtown, nearby some of the best things to do in Nantucket. Our luxurious island bed and breakfast blends historic charm and modern comfort with rooms named after characters in Moby Dick, the classic novel by Herman Melville. Check our availability and book your magical winter getaway today!